Click on the banner to visit Jason A. Kilgore's Amazon author page

Friday, August 28, 2026

Author Questions: What Tool Do You Rely On As A Writer?

This is an ongoing series of “questions every author avoids answering” (based on this video by Dale L. Roberts) and my answers to them. I recommend every author ask themselves these same questions to better understand themselves and their art.

 


(image from Chat GPT)

 

Question:

What tool do you rely on as a writer?

 

The quick answer:

A writing program called Scrivener.

 

The long answer:

There are lots of tools that writers rely on. The general public usually thinks of things like pens and paper. Or (older generations) might even think of a typewriter (I actually know a very accomplished author who still uses a manual typewriter to write his novels). Yes, all of that is true. And while a few writers use those things to write their long pieces, I think we can all agree that it usually isn’t the most productive, and at some point such pieces have to be transcribed into digital format in order to publish it. So the vast majority of writers use a PC or laptop (a few I’ve met use their phone and narrate their rough draft into Google Docs!).

But the tool that really makes me productive is a program called Scrivener. And before I go on… No, I’m not sponsored by them or plugging them or anything, even though I’m touting it here.

Historically speaking, the term “scrivener” refers to a professional writer, copyist, or clerk who drafted legal and official documents like contracts, deeds, and wills for others. But that’s not what I’m referring to here.

Scrivener is a writing program produced by a company called Literature and Latte which is specifically made for book length writing. Scrivener helps you with every stage of the writing process, including research, editing, organization, formatting, and exporting. You can create separate sections (such as chapters) and move them around easily. You can make a sort of notecard pegboard to quickly view summaries. You can integrate any type of document into the notes, including images and word documents. You can set up templates for character and scene descriptions. You can “compile” your work into nearly-finished Word documents for further polishing. And more.

The user interface looks like something made in the 90s, with lots of menus and things you have to click to do anything. The program has a bit of a steep learning curve, but there is an excellent manual, learning forums, a podcast, and tutorial videos on their YouTube channel. But it’s incredibly versatile. It’s inexpensive, and it is more functional than the usual Microsoft Word.

That being said, I still use Microsoft Word for the final polishing and formatting, prior to publication. I also still use Microsoft Word for short-form writing, such as short stories or blogging or poetry. Hell, I wrote my first two books entirely in Word before I discovered Scrivener.

Of course, there are a lot of different writing apps and programs for authors. Behind Word, Scrivener is probably the most popular, followed by Google Docs (which frankly doesn’t have all the functionality of the other two). HERE is a video of someone who tried 22 different writing tools and comments on their strengths and weaknesses. Some of them look like they could be pretty good. But I’m going to stick to what I know works for me. If you’re looking for a good program to use, I urge you to try a few and see with helps you be most productive.

HERE is a description of Scrivener with pros and cons (and a link to download it). HERE is a quick video that gives an overview of Scrivener usage.

But I’m not going to cast shade on anyone’s creative process. Use whatever tools work best for you, Dear Writer, whether it’s an app on a computer or phone, a typewriter, handwriting in a journal, or scratching letters into sand, for all I care. Do whatever makes you most productive and imaginative.

 

Cheers and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts